Wednesday, July 1, 2015

My "Why"

At my last Weight Watchers meeting, we were asked to find our "why" for losing weight. For me, that's simple- I do not want my weight to limit the things I love to do, and I want to look good in cute clothes.
I have hiked the same 3 trails outside of FortCollins numerous times: Grey Rock, Horsetooth Rock and Arthurs Rock.

For this upcoming thru hike of the Colorado Trail, I think its very important to establish my "why" so that I can keep it close and not give up. I have a bad history of quitting things that are generally good for my life and my health. I really, really want to attempt and finish this trail.

Here are a few of my reasons why:

I have told so many people I am going to do this trail, so I feel that now I have to. This is a good thing. I need a fire under my butt to get me out to do it.

I'm now 30 years old and I feel like if I'm ever going to get in shape and be healthy, this is the year it absolutely must happen. I've been putting my health off for far too long. I'm not getting any younger, and from what I deduce happens when you get older, this will never be easier for me than it will be now.

For the last three or four years, my husband and I have been altering our life and our jobs for an adventure such as this. We love having permanent jobs, owning a home and living in one place, but we also enjoy our current lifestyle of 13 week travel/contract working assignments that allow for as much time off as we want and an opportunity to see a new place. We have sold our house, paid off our debts, lowered our cost of living and built up a small savings. Additionally, we currently do not have any pets or children. There will never be a better time than now.

When I was young, I got the opportunity two summers in a row to a summer camp located in Durango, Colorado called Colvig Silver Camps (look it up, send your kids, it is awesome!). It was an extremely positive experience which I cherish and learned so much from. It instilled in me a love of the outdoors and a belief that I can climb mountains and backpack. We did a lot of backpacking trips throughout the Wemenuche Wilderness and the San Juan Mountains which I remember being some of the most beautiful parts of the world. I lost a lot of weight, and gained a ton of confidence. I cant wait to hike through that area again, and see new places, too.
Old Man Mountain, Estes Park, 2007. I want to look like this (again).
I want to lose weight, and I'm pretty sure hiking 8-10 hours a day will help. The problem I will have is making sure to eat enough. When working that hard, I will need to double or triple my calories. Based on our test backpacking trip, I think this will be very difficult to accomplish.

I have lived in Colorado for most of my life and have barely touched the surface of vast hiking trails and scenery. I want to see more of this great state I call home.




No comments:

Post a Comment