Thursday, July 16, 2015

My Foot Update

I was able to get a last minute appointment with a doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM) and everything went well during the appointment. Sort of.
Waiting to see the doctor. 
Immediately after walking in the door, I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in years: Ms. Jamee. This was a happy moment.
2003. Jamee and I
We had to wait an hour and a half to actually see the DPM. Since I had been walking all morning, my foot was warmed up. This was bad. For the first time in 13 days, my foot didn't hurt at all, anywhere. What the heck? Doctor asked where it hurt and I said I didn't really know and couldn't conclusively tell him. He said, "Its ok, I know where to press" and he put pressure on a lot of places and I felt no pain. I think I must have decided to throw him a bone and when he pressed really hard in one place I said, "yep, there".  It felt a lot like being at the eye doctor and you feel like you're lying about how bad your eye sight is. "One, or two? Three or four?" Damnit man, they all look the same to me!

It is plantar fasciitis, and apparently, I'm fine to continue the hike if I want. The plan was to give me a night splint, a perscription for strong IB Profen, get new cushiony insoles and perhaps new trail running shoes called "Hoka". Oh, and we're giving you a cortisone shot. David joked that I should have just hobbled out at that point and said, "Welp, looks like I'm all better, thanks!" There was no discussion as to whether or not I wanted the shot. I mean, I did, but he didn't even ask.

The spot I said was painful would be the injection site. F. He sprayed something cold over my foot to numb the needle prick and slowly over the course of 30 or 40 seconds injected the steroid into the bowels of my foot. Good God! David sensing my pain offered up his hand to hold but I shooed it away, trying to be brave. After it was over, my heel felt like jelly and I was optimistic that we would be getting back on the trail in the next couple of days.

A day later, it still hurts and I know that I cannot sleep with the night splint on in a tiny sleeping bag. We are still evaluating whether or not I want to finish the trail.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment