Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I'm Through Hiking

Rain or shine, happy to be together.

I suppose the time has come to say that I am officially off the trail for this year. I think I needed some time to fully accept it before broadcasting it to you. I've never really been an athlete, and never had an athletic injury. Now I feel as though I am part of both clubs.
I probably can hike through the pain, and my foot would be fine. It doesn't hurt all the time, and when it is warmed up, I'm fine. Problem is that I pay for it the next morning, or after a period of rest. I feel lame, I feel weak, and I feel lazy. I've lost interest in the trail. I With every day that I am away, it seems harder and harder to get back up on the horse. It seems all too easy to forget the beautiful sights, the peaceful quiet of nature, the fresh air, the deliciously cold creek water and and the fun I had on this adventure with David. Instead I am reminded of the hours of mindless walking; uphill, then downhill, then up again until the end of time. I remember how I couldn't get comfortable in my sleeping bag because I was either too hot, too cold or too sticky from sweating all day (gross). I had no appetite and it seemed a huge challenge to down a homemade rehydrated meal or tortilla PB&J despite my growing hunger and lack of energy.
This guy, is amazing. 

Now I sit in the comfort of a dear friend's home, showered, clean, warm and lazy while I consider the adventure my husband has set out on today, alone. He has plans to hike for another 6 days, another one hundred and however many miles before calling it quits. He may decide to finish the trail this year. I hate that he is alone, that I am not with him, and that we are not sharing in this together, but in so many ways I just feel as though I can't possibly be there.
This sucks. I've never wasted an entire week doing absolutely nothing as I have the previous week. Here's to hoping the next week is a bit more fulfilling. I plan to take the time to do the things I want to do- catch up on my Dive Master/SCUBA diving reading, visit friends and family, take another class or two on Spencerian script or calligraphy, catch a movie, read the Bible, go to church and spend each day at the gym or on a bike ride. Maybe, if I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll try to get a job.
Meh.

This is what I do. I make sterile back tables look pretty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment