Saturday, August 29, 2015

Road Trippin' British Columbia Part I




Once again we rose as the sun did and got out early to beat the crowds. Our first stop was Athabasca Falls which had the most powerful and beautiful flow of water that I can remember seeing. They had a really neat walkway system in place so that you could feel as though you were in the middle of the flow.
Athabasca Falls
Athabasca Falls
We got back in the car and trekked up to Edith Cavell, a large amazing mountain face that had a glacier near the top called Angel Glacier. We hiked up to it, about 40 minutes round trip. At the base of the glacier was a small lake. Well, it looked small in the distance, but the glacier sitting in it was (I’m guessing) more than 60 feet tall.
Edith Cavell
The glacier below Angel Glacier, on the hike near Edith Cavell. 

We spent several hours driving through “Beautiful British Columbia” with a destination of Prince George in mind. A little ways outside of Prince George we stopped to do a hike in a place called the Ancient Forest. It’s a neat area of inland rainforest with some of the largest trees I’ve ever seen. The path was mostly boardwalk and stairs and an absolute blast to walk on. 

A HUGE tree!
A lovely boardwalk for hiking on. 
We took the night off and got a hotel at the Ramada Inn. I was so surprised by how nice it was, and affordable! We had a nice dinner at a place called “Earls Kitchen” (a chain throughout B.C.) and relaxed the rest of the night. 
Pleasantly surprised by Ramada Inn. When you closed the door to the bathroom, the glass between the shower and the room would turn opaque. 
In the morning, I spent a bit of time working on requirements/orientation and what-not for work. For lunch we ate at a delicious Mediterranean restaurant. Before leaving town, we heard there was a fruit winery near by. The wine was okay, but the best part was what happened in the vineyard. They had a seating area created near a stage that went up a hill. Spontaneously, I headed up the hill, for a better look. Once David joined me, I decided, without notice, to roll down it. I have not laughed so hard or enjoyed myself so much in a long time. I felt like a child, and it was a blast! By the time we left, both of us had rolled down the hill three or four times.  
Northern Lights Winery
A great place to roll. 

Best day ever!






No comments:

Post a Comment