Sunday, June 7, 2015

Buzzard Hill

From journal:
Saturday May 23, 2015

Buzzard Hill Elevation Profile, 3000 foot elevation gain. hikingupward.com

I am beat tired. Clearly did not eat or drink enough today, either. We got up late and started hiking the AT portion that included Buzzard Hill, part of the "roller coaster". Its about 9 1/2 miles round trip with four or so up and down hills that equal approximately 3000 feet of elevation gain. I did alright for most of it even though it was very difficult to do the uphill portions without many/any short breaks! There was no grand finale or amazing view to greet us at the turnaround point. The last .7 miles of the trail really kicked my ass physically and mentally because what I remembered from the beginning of the hike was very different (longer, harder, steeper) and I felt like crying and throwing a fit right at the end until I realized, "Oh, hey! The end is right there!" The rest of the evening was shot for me I was so exhausted. We stopped at Subway on the way home and never before has a BLT sub tasted so amazing.
A view that is not exactly worth all the trouble at the top of Buzzard Hill.

I have to remember how lucky we are. First of all, David and I like each other and for the most part, we think alike and enjoy doing the same things. This is happening and it feels like we are on the longest and best vacation ever. We did the touristy/D.C. stuff at the beginning: came, saw, conquered. Neither one of us was really built for the big city. I love how we have been getting out and exploring the world around us more than going to museums or reading about someone else's explorations and adventures. We saw a young black bear a few weeks ago, turtles in the C&O canal, a skink, butterflies and a bald eagle swooped down onto a tree less than 50 feet from us today. How cool! I am convinced that more awesome things can happen in a day than we realize at first glance. On the way to our hike today we were driving through Virginia, listening to "Country Roads" by John Denver, holding hands and I realized that at that moment, I could not be any happier. Where we are, where we're headed and what we have done so far- our life together has been so full of adventure! I love it.




No comments:

Post a Comment